Thursday, June 5, 2008

Home Never Sounded So Sweet

I am home, home, home! I am so grateful to have gone but relieved to be home.

Anyone that has had to be around a close loved one and watch them suffer knows the unspoken suffering that saturates the surrounding air. I have spent the last 12 days with my Aunt and Uncle and watched first hand their love of 52 years in their last moments here on Earth. It was heartbreaking but I never was able to cry until today. I cried as if I just found out she was dying all over again.



This is them on their first date. It was instant my Uncle said. Instant attraction. Aren't they cute? He still treats her with such adoration as she lies motionless in the hospice bed with tubes going in her arm and one large tube through her esophagus. Every day after we put on our gowns, masks and gloves he would go straight to her side, take her hand to his cheek and say; "I love you. I love you. I love you."

It makes me smile how on every visit she would tell me how he treated her like a queen and how there was no better man in the world (but that Paul came pretty "darn" close.)


On a side note my doc cleared me of MRSA today.

1 comment:

Jami said...

Awe, the pictures of your Aunt Margie and Uncle Jerry are so sweet. Young love is so great, isn't it? But I prefer the seasoned, weathered and aged love more than the new love because unconditional understanding comes along with it. You can finish each others sentences and they know you better than you do. My heart goes out to you and your aunt and uncle. I can't imagine having to say good bye after 52 years. :0/

And MRSA free, WAHOO!!!!!!!!!! :0)