Friday, May 30, 2008

MRSA? What's MRSA?

Have any of you heard of MRSA before? I'd heard it mention on the news now and then but hadn't paid too much attention to it until now. It all started when my cousin picked my up from the airport and was giving me the lowdown on his mom. Not only was she dealing with all her other problems but she developed MRSA on top of it all and was fading. Upon arrival to her room we gowned up, got masked and gloves on. She responded with smiles and was able to shake her head yes but that only lasted a few more hours before she got worse. Since then she's lost all consciousness and is on oxygen and morphine. I was getting mad because with her mouth wide open constantly NOBODY was sponging her teeth and tongue to keep them moist or applying lip ointment. I had to continually request eye ointment since she can't close her eyes. I tried rubbing her cold feet with lotion and her hands that were cracked with cream. Her paper thin skin on her hands made me just want to hold her and protect her.

Within the first 2 days of being there I contracted MRSA. Despite being fully gowned and geared, changing my masks every 20 minutes I developed the skin lesions on my arm from her lung MRSA. At first I thought it was a spider bit but then it was green inside and oozed. (sorry, it's disgusting but if I can help some poor chap that gets this too to recognize it quickly then so be it)My cousin noticed it and told me his secretary was in the hospital for 3 weeks with skin MRSA. I decided to go get it checked out and now have been on antibiotics for 24 hrs. I have to keep it covered at all times. According to them the only way I can give it to someone is if I go wipe my sore on someone else's open sore but I'm taking every precaution possible. I disinfected the entire house with antibacterial. Every light switch, every thing that could be wiped or sprayed was done. I then went through the entire contents of my purse and sanitized everything thoroughly (which I might start doing all the time with my change and bills. They were filthy!)

Now I feel like a modern day leper. Not that my uncle and didn't have enough on their plate to worry about with his wife dying but now he has to worry about me. I was really upset about it at first but I think now there must be a reason for it all. I've extended my stay here till next Wednesday. It kills me to not have Paul but I think I'm needed here for a bit longer with my Uncle. I love him so dearly. It's absolutely painful to watch him go through this and think there is no afterlife. I take my chances when I can to share the gospel but I'm not going to be abrasive about it as he's always been anti religion. He's listened to me talk openly with Margie these past few days so maybe that will spark some questions.

So please please please pray for my dear sweet Paul. He is all home alone with 3 children including a 2 year old which counts for a lot of joy and even more pain. He's been so supportive of me being here and I know he's got to be wishing life to go back to normal.

On a lighter note, do you know what my biggest concern about my family has been? That I'll get home and the kids will want me to get a job and Daddy stay home. :) Isn't that silly? heh heh

I don't even know what I typed but hopefully it made sense. It's been another long day and I just had to post and read scriptures before falling asleep.

2 comments:

Jesika said...

OH Rustie!! I'm so sorry about all this crappiness! You are such a trooper and I can bet that you've had a smile on your face 99.9% of the time. I'm sure you've brought so much joy to your family during these very difficult times! You ARE there for a very special purpose. Just love them because I know they love you! (And, so do I!!!!!)

And, about your comment on the kids wanting Paul to stay home with them.......Yeah, Kris makes a much better stay at home "mom" than me! Good thing it's MY job and not his, eh!!! lol

I love you with hugs and kisses....Thanks for the update!

Jami said...

RUSTIE!!!! It's been a pain (literally) to sit and check blogs so it's taken me all week to get to yours because I can only stand to sit at the computer for a couple minutes at a time, but I'm here! :0)

I hope Paul told you I called to get a hold of you last Saturday to chat and keep you some company while I laid on the couch, but he said you were out seeing your aunt which was great for you to be able to get out. :0)

I LOVE YOU and am glad you are FINALLY able to come home to your family. I know your kids have missed you dearly and Paul is extatic to have you back. Happy homecoming, Rustie!!! :0)