Population: 621 (That’s 19 more than when I lived here in 1991-1992)
Paul and I love coming to visit my family here in Missouri. Their property is out in the boonies so you don't have to worry about listening to the traffic plus there's tons of property for the kids to be kids and my aunt Janice is a fabulous down home cook.
Since I’ve moved away from here (out of self preservation) they’ve added a cattle auctioning farm, a few new trailers to the schoolyard and an old gas station is now called the “Bar-Y”. (Not sure if it serves a purpose but that’s what the signed said.)
Those of you with small children at some point might relate to this one: Do you ever go to a family member’s house and find it not relaxing because; 1) they have stairs, 2) their house isn’t child proof or 3) your child is ADD? Oh the FUN I had today with my 2 yr old! Up and down then up we went counting all the steps (“one…two…free….free…two…”). Then we had to walk out to the chicken coop half a dozen times. My personal favorite was walking around my uncle’s property several times. I think I just forgot how extremely exciting a new place can be for a 2 year old. It was like I fed her crack in her fruit loops this morning. O.o

So in between a trip to the chickens and a jot down the steps I got to hear my uncle talk about something from his childhood. When he was growing up he was a shoe shine boy and he and a friend were working one side of the street with their get-up waiting for a movie to start. Well 3 other boys showed up and were trying to cause some trouble by stealing customers and talking smack.(my word, not his). My uncle and his friend turned around and whooped their butts with their big, long brushes they used on men’s shoes.
I also found out that my grandma met her first husband in high school. They had a typing class together. J She couldn’t remember how they started talking but I just love to hear this kind of stuff.

No comments:
Post a Comment